Monday, September 22, 2008

Brian’s Reflection: Tuesday, September 23, 2008


It may be that the satisfaction I need
depends on my going away, so that when
I've gone and come back, I'll find it at home.


- Rumi, Sufi “saint” and poet


“At home”. That could be a multitude of “places”. Yes, it could be literally one’s physical abode – country, house, garden, family of friends. Being a Cancer (as is Dennis), we both “nest” well, making the house a place we like and feel comfortable in. I have travelled a lot, and been in some truly wonderful, beautiful, satisfying “places”. I’ve also been in some pretty distressing ones! Oh yes, I am deeply aware of just how privileged I am in my circumstances. I would find it “hard” to live in the Brazilian favelas I’ve been in – but the people I’ve met there: beautiful.

No one should have to be satisfied with misery, with ugliness, with deprivation. If I approved of any “missionary” work, it would be to change misery and ugliness and deprivation without any other motive.

But I think Rumi’s point is a simple one. It is this: If we can’t find the satisfaction we need or desire within our own heart, we will never be satisfied.

And if we can’t find it within, then we will never be able to help others find satisfaction - to be a home for others.

Perhaps we need to foray out every now and then, just to be reminded that the Journey is always ….. Home.

Brian+

No comments: