Sunday, May 9, 2010

Brian’s Reflection: Monday, May 10, 2010


Those who love me will keep my word,
and my Father will love them, and we will
come to them and make our home with them.


Jesus (from John 14 – RCL Year C, Easter VI)


I am constantly amazed at the Mystery of “God”. Among many other things, I have come to understand “God” to be the deep mystery of Wisdom. The Wisdom of the Human race, which is organically implanted in the human brain and seeps in and out of the human heart and mind and spirit. Stunning – and delightful.

I no longer think I’m being cynical when pushing the fact (as I see it) that the Scriptures are like anything else in Life – they spring from the human brain. But, maybe that’s how “God” works Her way into the Great Mix. (I know “God” does not have gender; but I use the Feminine to keep chipping away at the patriarchal co-opting of “God” – what damage that co-option has done to us and to God!) And the most wonderful part of this approach is that it makes it clear that we and God are One. And we are. “Forgetting” this sets up a cavernous gulf that makes it impossible really to understand “God”.

The passage from John was the Gospel for today, Easter VI. Talk about a sense of Oneness! The Father and Jesus the Word and you and I cohabiting. Now I know where the germ of “The Shack” came from! “Traditional” Christianity has put a huge gulf between us and God. And that is simply wrong. What it has done is alienate we humans from Life, from Being. And therefore, alienated us from ourselves. This schizophrenia contributes to a deeply unhealthy self-concept – and the darker side of ourselves loves this!

It’s time to say No. Time to reclaim our true nature. Time to “keep God’s Word”: Compassion, Justice, Generosity, Servanthood. These are the things we are meant to Be.

In doing so, we will know Joy.

Brian+

No comments: