Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Brian’s Reflection: Thursday, August 19, 2010


We must question the story logic of having an
all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty
Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes.


Gene Roddenberry, creator of the “Star Trek” series;
he was born on this day, 1921, in El Paso TX


Some Biblical character said, “Can anything good come from Galilee?” The same might be said (not by me, who am the soul of charity!) about El Paso. But! Apparently Yes!

I am an absolute besotted devotee, disciple, “groupie” (though I don’t exhibit groupie behaviour) of Gene and Star Trek. I have seen, I think, most of the episodes ((from all the various offshoots too), own all the DVD’s, and (I confess) settle down to watch it at 1pm every day on Sci-Fi (or record it if I have to be out) to make sure I haven’t missed any!

Why? Various reasons. It is “Myth”, which for me is the core method of communication and transmission of Meaning. Star Trek is in a venerable tradition thousands of years old. Also, Star Trek is based on certain assumptions – including the elimination of “God” as popularly understood – with which I agree. Another is: Don’t screw with other peoples’ cultures and traditions; honour them. So-called “religious” people of the “in-the-box” persuasion could learn a lot from Star Trek – but of course they won’t and don’t because that is a character of their victimization.

It was not God (and a “He”, note) Who created faulty Human Beings after Himself and then blamed them for their own mistakes. It was a peculiarly self-loathing, self-unrealistic, self-unappreciative Humanity who did that! And this is the major problem with so-called “Scriptures”. They have been made idols of. And like all idols, they are False – as are the deities they portray.

Any person who has taken the time to open her or his mind and heart and spirit to the Mystery we call “God”, and taken the time to do what Jesus said and “love themselves as they are loved” sees immediately the charming but destructive silliness of believing in a God who “creates faulty humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes”.

One thing I believe: when we have embraced our own spectacular beauty and wonder, our “God” will follow along in equal Majesty!

Thanks Gene for what you have added to our lives. I wish I had known you personally!

Brian+

No comments: