Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Brian’s Reflection: Thursday, July 12, 2012





Don’t Go Far Off

Don't go far off, not even for a day, because -- 

because -- I don't know how to say it: a day is long 

and I will be waiting for you, as in an empty station 

when the trains are parked off somewhere else, asleep. 


Don't leave me, even for an hour, because 

then the little drops of anguish will all run together, 

the smoke that roams looking for a home will drift 

into me, choking my lost heart. 


Oh, may your silhouette never dissolve on the beach; 

may your eyelids never flutter into the empty distance. 

Don't leave me for a second, my dearest, 


because in that moment you'll have gone so far 

I'll wander mazily over all the earth, asking, 

Will you come back? Will you leave me here, dying?

Pablo Neruda, Chilean poet, was born on this date,
1904. He was awarded the Nobel Prize for literature in 1971,
and died in 1973, age 69



Remember the Song of Solomon in the Hebrew Scriptures? Neruda’s poem is close kin to it.

God is vast and utterly beyond our comprehension … so all the mystics of every religious tradition say. The other side of the coin, from our charmingly limited human nature? God is the Mythical, the Archetypal Lover, the One who shows us the path to Life on the path of Love and Compassion.

I hope you will savour Neruda’s wonderful love poem today … and may I suggest that it is a parable or a “symbol” of the love between that great Mystery we call “God” and ourselves.

But the speaker of this poem isn’t one of us human beings.

It is God.

God needs us to exist. And, as we properly understand the deep mystery of God, we need Her properly to comprehend our own reality and destiny.

Brian+

No comments: