Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Brian’s Reflection: Tuesday, August 28, 2012



One ought, every day at least,
to hear a little song,
read a good poem,
see a fine picture,
and if it were possible,
to speak a few reasonable words.

Born on this date, 1749


Goethe’s words remind me of the incredibly privileged Life I have …. and of the number of people for whom it isn’t possible to do what he suggests. My brother recently sent me a PP (Power Point). It pointed out that if we had 100 people representing the population of the Earth, 80 of them would live in poverty, and 70 would be illiterate. 50 would suffer from hunger and malnutrition. 1 would own a computer. And 1 would have a university degree.

A little song? Maybe. I’ve lived in many poor places in my Life … and people did sing. But. Read a poem? See a fine picture? Unlikely. One of the most desolate places I’ve ever been was Mobile Alabama in the 70’s. Perhaps speak a few reasonable words. To be honest, I’ve heard those more in barrios and in Nicaraguan villages and in tiny Italian hilltowns than I’ve heard in most of America these days. I thank God for Bill Moyers every day! And the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Goethe has pulled me back. I’m “retired” … and yet the days fly by filled will all kinds of stuff. I’ve put his quote in my laptop Kalendar each day. I am blessed to have XM satellite radio … I can listen to beautiful song every day all day if I want. I can find poems and beautiful pictures online. I can communicate in many ways and try to say a few reasonable words … and listen to many from around the World. How blessed I am.

I won’t get far … but I’ll do what little I can to make it possible for us all to follow Goethe’s path.

Brian+

No comments: