Sunday, April 6, 2008

Brian’s Reflection: Monday, April 7, 2008


When I sing, I don't want them to see that my face is black.
I don't want them to see that my face is white.
I want them to see my soul.
And that is colourless.


- Marian Anderson, great soul, who died on this day, 1993


There it is folks, so let’s get it into our psyche. My friend Peter said this to me many years ago in a very adamant way – that we must stop “distinguishing” people by colour of skin or any other exterior reference.

Human Beings are Human Beings. And there is only one human race, not sub-species of the Human Race. Since he had been legitimately “taken on” by Archbishop Desmond Tutu, who said firmly that he wished to be acknowledged as a black person because that was important at this time in history (with which I agree), in the end, Peter is ultimately right in terms of where we as a human community must be headed. We are human, period, and the soul is “colourless”, as Marian Anderson says.

So, OK folks. Time to bend our minds and hearts to this aim. Lets all do our best to live to the Myth – i.e., to the Truth-story, to the Ultimate Reality. We will only “get there” is we set our feet on the narrow path. “I lift up my eyes to the hills” - and it is there, as the Psalm says, whence our help will come.

“We are One in the Spirit, we are One in the Lord”. Tedious hymn, after a few years; but: the theology and the sociology are true.

Our Life is a song! Let us sing our lives! Let us bear our souls – colourless in one sense, but as we all know, “colourless” is the reality of all glorious colour.

Brian+

No comments: