Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Brian’s Reflection: Thursday, Feb 12, 2009


If I were a Palestinian of the right age, I'd
eventually join one of the terrorist organizations.


- Ehud Barak, 10th PM of Israel,
born on this day, 1942


So. Do you understand any of this?? I, frankly, don’t. Are we (the Human Race) going through some kind of cyclical revulsion?? Do we have to go through this on some regular basis? Times when we try to expel the violence and hate and fear and rage that builds up in the World’s nations and communities and religions? Barak was right: things get so bleak that we can understand our enemies, why they do what they do – and what happens to us in the process.

Is there any solution to the Middle East? Or to the horror that has engulfed the World? Ethnic cleansing – what a sanitary term for the horror of hacking to death the “other”! Rape and murder and cruelty. And let me tell you, it’s the cruelty that stuns me. And all this talk about "religions" that are supposed to make us better people, make us "like" the God is Compassion and Justice! What nonsense! When human beings get to the point that they can mutilate millions of fellow human beings without seeming awareness of the utter horror of their behaviour, with no revulsion at the pain and slaughter – this is when I begin to lose hope. Oh, it doesn’t just display itself “elsewhere”. Oh no. The American administration of the last eight years – those representing us, the American people, SO professedly Christian – has led the way with their torture and renditions and neglect of the poor and sick and starving.

I am so enraged by the way that Gayfolk are still mistreated and denied rights and gay-bashed in this land that I confess I have had fantasies and literal dreams of becoming a Gay Guerrilla and returning the violence. Luckily only my upbringing in and commitment to the Gospel saves me from a descent into violence.

Barak understands (I take from what he says) what drives us into violence.

If anyone knows what can stop the cycle we are in, please let me know.

Brian+

No comments: