Monday, June 1, 2009

Brian’s Reflection: Tuesday, June 2, 2009


As a priest, it will be your task to proclaim by word and deed
the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and to fashion your life in
accordance with its precepts. You are to love and serve the
people among whom you work, caring alike for young and
old, strong and weak, rich and poor. You are to preach, to
declare God’s forgiveness to penitent sinners, to pronounce
God’s blessing, to share in the administration of Holy
Baptism and in the celebration of the mysteries of Christ’s
Body and Blood, and to perform the other ministrations
entrusted to you. In all that you do, you are to nourish Christ’s
people from the riches of his grace, and strengthen them to glorify
God in this life and in the life to come.


- The Book of Common Prayer, rite of ordination of a priest


Today, thirty-six years ago, in the exquisitely beautiful chapel of St. Augustine, Holy Cross Monastery, West Park NY, Bp. Hugh Stiff, then Bishop Visitor of the Order, addressed those words to me, laid his hands on my head and invoked the Spirit, ordaining me a priest. It was a beautiful day, filled with many family and friends, good food and wine. And it’s been an interesting Journey these past thirty-six years.

I’ve been far from perfect. I think I have been best at painting a picture of a Diety Who truly is Love, working hard to eliminate all of the nonsense that people have tried to make “God” into – even the Scriptures! And on the whole, it has been fun to preach – I’ve never used the same sermon twice in all those years. “God” wants all of us to be fully human, and to have full abundant Life (i.e., “eternal”), and I have often exaggerated my words to get people to see the Wonder of this. To encourage people to accept the freedom offered. I hope that I have held up a consistent, radical icon of the God of Love – and that at least some have been nourished and strengthened. I understand that no one can say that they “have” the whole Truth about God – but paradoxically (and with a little tongue in cheek) I also believe that I got it right.

The best has been to hand people a small bit of bread and wine, invite them to eat and drink the Body and Blood of Christ, and tell them that they are infused with Divinity, one with “God”, Love, the Universe.

So, thanks to all the many people over these thirty-six years who have, representing down the years those at my ordination who said they would, “supported me in this ministry”. There were some wonderful times, and a few hard knocks a few of which were very helpful. I have always had a love/hate relationship with “the Church”. Never with the God who was clear in my mind as to Her nature. In a very broad and full way, the “God” I serve as a priest allows me to be content with how I have spent my Life. And to be deeply grateful for all the wonderful people who became part of my Journey.

Brian+

No comments: