Monday, June 22, 2009

Brian’s Reflection: Tuesday, June 23, 2009


Childhood smells of perfume and brownies.

- David Leavitt, author, [ The Lost Language
of Cranes ], born on this date, 1961


My mother didn’t wear perfume, that I remember – though every now and then something called Taboo (I think?). It doesn’t figure in my childhood. “Scents” were not common in the McHugh family – except my father’s Old Spice. Nor brownies – I don’t remember those being baked. My mother was essentially not a baker, though I do remember the cakes she made in a cast iron aluminum pot on the top of the stove. More, I remember her frequent cry: “Don’t take the lid off that pot!” (I peeked; luckily the cake didn’t “fall”.)

I remember the smell of the coal oil we used in the stove – not pleasant. I remember the smell of freshly baked custard pie that we bought every Saturday at Main’s, the local Scottish bakery - Fabulous! And the smell of Eckles Cakes (a kind of large flaky cookie). And the terrific Scottish meat pies they sold! I remember the smell of Woolworth’s – mothballs, and sawdust. I remember the smell of Brylcreem (“a little dab ‘il do ya”). And the smell of the home permanents (ugh!) that my mother and her sisters-in-law gave to each other on Saturday mornings. I remember the smell of the gasoline that we had to pour with a funnel into the outboard motor. Oh, there are many more!

There were the normal “troubles” we all have as children, of course. But on the scale, I was fortunate enough to have a good childhood. Nothing really traumatic – except being “beaten up” by older boys after the movies in the basement of our church on Saturday mornings because I was a “fairy” – nothing bad, just frightening.

Childhood has its traumas. But I hope that each of you has some good memories among it all. Think of those today. Jesus welcomed little children, and told his followers that they needed to be like them to enter the “Kingdom” - essentially knowing we need, and open to recognizing and welcoming, Love.

If you didn’t get a lot in your childhood, may it be lavished on you now!

Brian+

No comments: