Monday, April 18, 2011

Brian’s Reflection: Monday, April 18, 2011
[ Monday in Holy Week {Christian} ]
[ Hanuman Jayanti {Hindu} ]


I do not believe in God because I
do not believe in Mother Goose.

Clarence Darrow, defender; he was
born on this date, 1857, in Kinsman
Township, Trumbull Co., Ohio



If you are drawn by the Mystery of Life and Meaning ~ and perhaps “God” as part of that mix ~ this is a good time to reflect deeply about it all.

It has long been my feeling and observation that, for far too many people, God is too much like Mother Goose. Not that there is anything wrong with Mother Goose as a vehicle for a little wisdom; I’m sure Mr. Darrow wasn’t denigrating Mother Goose! The point I think he was making is that God is often portrayed as something as silly as a talking goose wearing a little bonnet. I seem to have spent many long decades trying to wean people off the Mother Goose version of God. Alas, a lot of people prefer God as Mother Goose.

If one is going to “believe in” God as part of entering into the Mystery of Life, it’s much more useful to believe in a God Who can shape and sustain a Life with the power of Love that permits one to “lay down one’s Life for one’s friends” than in a God who performs magic tricks.

But of course, very few of us want, I guess, to be transformed into such a crucible of love. Which is why it is such a “fearful thing” to fall into the hands of such a God.

The Question is: would being a person of generous love bring us more Life and Joy than we can imagine?

I rather think so, if I can judge from the fleeting moments I’ve seen it in my life and in the lives of others.

If you are a Christian, remember that Christians do not venerate the Cross of Jesus as an instrument of torture and suffering. Jesus did not invite his followers to take up such a cross. We venerate the Cross as a sign of the great love in which we are invited to find the deepest wonder of being human.

Brian+

No comments: