Thursday, May 5, 2011

Brian’s Reflection: Friday, May 6, 2011


He does not believe that does
not live according to his belief .


Sigmund Freud, psychiatrist; he was
born on this date, 1856, in Freiborg


In my opinion, Freud would have done well to have a good personal psychiatrist! However, he had some useful insights. [I know, I know; I’m being condescending.]

Freud seems to be supporting, theologically, “justification by works”, not “justification by faith alone”. I think I’m with Freud. Jesus us reported to have said, “Not everyone who says to me Lord, Lord, will enter the Kingdom of Heaven”. By which I think he meant that Faith and Works are two necessary sides of the same coin. Or, that “belief” must be authenticated by appropriate behaviour.

However. If one thinks of God as the Judge who decides whether one is “saved” (a very mysterious concept, that!) or not, then Worry Not. Justification (i.e., recognition of one’s intrinsic value as a person) comes neither through belief, faith, or works, but only by the profligate, irrational Love of the Holy One.

Breathe a sigh of relief!

On a political note, Freud also said (ok, ok, I’m chortling a bit):

America is a mistake, a giant mistake.
….. America is the most grandiose
experiment the world has seen, but,
I am afraid, it is not going to be a success.


What think ye???

Brian+

No comments: