Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Brian’s Reflection: Thursday, September 29, 2011


I like not to know for as long as possible because then
it tells me the truth instead of me imposing the truth.


Michael Moschen


I’m old enough to know that if I’m caught up in “imposing the truth”, I’m shutting out Life. Is it a characteristic of youth to need to exert control ….. to put parameters around Existence so as not to feel overwhelmed?; so as to be able to manage? Is this what lies behind prejudice, and control, and tribalism, and all the other things that prevent people from seemingly being able to enter into Oneness with all things? Is this why Jesus, and other great spiritual teachers, tried to teach the Unitive Way ….. with not much success?

I guess it’s not as simple as that. Churches are full of older people ….. but I don’t see that these older people are much better at being open to the truth Life has to teach us. As a matter of fact, I would say that most of the people I know who are open to being taught by Life aren’t part of “organized” religion.

Well, I’ll think more about that. But I have to say that in the last few years of my life, I have less and less interest - or need - to “know”. I want to listen to Life. I have this deep sense that I have missed so much in trying to “master” Life. That I have diminished my life by trying to “impose the truth”.

I feel like I have become a child again, holding off for as long as possible, expecting marvelous things.

Brian+

No comments: