Brian’s Reflection: Wednesday, May 7, 2008
How to Argue in Peace
* Sit Down.
* Hear out the other person without interrupting.
* Begin and end your remarks by thinking,
"I'd rather be happy than right".
* If at all possible, state each opinion as a fear.
* Close your eyes and remember your debt of gratitude to each other.
* Think of the gifts you wish to give to the relationship,
then open your eyes and share them.
* Do not reconsider.
It isn’t about control. It isn’t about being right. It isn’t about winning.
You decide what it’s really about! And what criterion you are using to decide.