Sunday, September 6, 2009

Brian’s Reflection: Monday, Sept 7, 2009


The past cannot be cured.

- Elizabeth I, Queen of England,
born on this date, 1533


We have perhaps been taught that it can. I don’t think so. If by “cured” is meant “undone” or “dismissed”. I believe the Buddha to be right – i.e., this is a principle of Life which I think I accept as true. “Karma”, that is, the results and consequences of our thoughts and actions will and must “come round”. The Past can’t be undone. We can only deal with how it has changed the World and with what comes our way, or what comes others’ way by our choices. The Christian principle known as “redemption” simply means that we human beings are not caught in some trap, despite our choices, which limit our making new choices. Christians believe that this freedom is a “gift from God”. Nothing is preordained.

The Past can only be learned from ….. or not. It goes without saying that we human beings have not been very good at learning from the Past. We live with the folly of our refusal to change and learn every day ….. and we have for millennia. It is, to my mind, particularly glaring in our present World situation.

Another thing I accept: “God” is not going to countermand our Karma, nor our freedom or our choice to reject free choice. The best that the Gospel has to offer is that God unconditionally loves and companions us, presumably hoping that the energy of Divine Love will influence our choices for the Future. I remain in awe of God’s optimism!

These days, I am feeling the strong call to step further up to my humanity. No more blaming human misery and suffering on God, or permitting others to hold this position without challenge – though I have felt this for quite a long time now in my Life.

Time to grow up. Or the Past rules. I do not believe this to be Humanity’s lot.

Brian+

No comments: