Sunday, September 20, 2009

Brian’s Reflection: Monday, September 21, 2009


“Chew quietly your sweet sugarcane God-Love, and stay playfully childish.
Your face will turn rosy with illumination like the redbud flowers.”


- Rumi , of course


Apparently, the ancient Mayan calendar is “predicting” that on Dec 21, 2012, one of two things will happen. Either the World will come to an end, or, a profound transformation will take place. (Want a little taste of all this? Go to http://mayancalendar2012.org/)

With the fact in mind that “end of the World” has been “predicted” countless times and we are still here (If there is any sign of God’s humour, this is It!), I am rooting for the Great Transformation!!

Silly, I know. Take a glance back at Humanity over the last several thousand years. There have been minor episodes of what perhaps could be called Transformation. Usually fairly localized. Not long-lasting. Sigh. We human beings are a complicated lot. Capable of such superb majesty, and such venal ugliness.

I have to admit, though, that there is a little part of me that thinks an “End” might be a helpful thing. Having experienced several hard drive collapses, I have found that “starting over from scratch” can be a wonderfully cleansing experience, very freeing. And, since I am fully content with the reality of my mortality, I have no worries about an “End” – except for the occasional pang of fear about pain.

So, I choose to “believe” in the possibility of a cosmic flash of Insight. And to be an HBWBITPOCI – a Human Being who believes in the Possibility of Cosmic Insight. And to live accordingly. I intend to deepen my sense of human fear and sadness, to work at deepening my compassion for the plight of my fellow human beings, to cast off all my prejudices, and to work at valuing the dignity of every human being.

How far I will get with this I have no idea. But, sounds like a plan.

Care to join me?

Brian+

No comments: