Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Brian’s Reflection: Thursday, March 24, 2011


The true secret of happiness lies in taking a
genuine interest in all the details of daily life.


William Morris, designer, craftsman & poet; he was
born on this date, 1834, in Walthamstow, London


I tried this out today. Though I have found as I get older that “the details of daily life” have become more engaging.

Anyway. Here’s a short list:

- The verbena soap, though down to the “nubbin”, still has a lovely scent.
- My shave-in-the-shower mirror really works, doesn’t fog ~ and it is a source of immense satisfaction.
- My body actually stays warm in the time it takes to pee and get back under the covers.
- The iPad backlight can be adjusted. Brilliant!
- The Alstrumeria and yellow roses that Dennis put on the dining table are ….. perfect!
- Seven clocks tick & chime throughout the night in this house. Friendly, at 3am of a wakeful night.
- The oil painting of Portofino radiates sunlight on a rainy morning. I’m there again!
- Dennis’s chili simmering fills the house, spicy. Lunch at 2pm is calm, the Malbec fruity. Ah.
- The Lesser Goldfinches, House Finches, English Sparrows , and White-crowned Sparrows are very cheery.
- My right arm aches from hauling my suitcase up and down subway stairs. Ben Gay is soothing.
- My World War II Spode bathroom cup, ~“a part of the war effort” it says ~ radiates solidarity.
- Assam tea in the morning. Wonderful espresso in a Limoges deco demitasse after lunch. Charming.
- My oldest friend of 60 years, Martin, is 65 today. Friendship is a great blessing!

Even the short list was more than enough to prove William Morris right. Pleasure and Happiness abound “in the details of daily life”. Like the Biblical story of Namaan cured of leprosy, there is much to be said for the healing power of simple things.

Brian+

No comments: