Wednesday, March 23, 2011




Brian’s Reflection: Wednesday, March 23, 2011


I love playing bitches. There's a lot of
bitch in every woman - a lot in every man.


Lucille Fay LeSueur, alias Joan Crawford; she
was born on this date, 1908, in San Antonio TX


Mention Joan Crawford, and more than likely the response will be “Mommie Dearest” – the book (later a movie) by her adopted daughter Christina about the harsh childhood she had at her mother’s hands. You know, one of the things that I’ve learned over the years writing these Reflections is to accept the reality that we are all a mixture of “good” and “bad”. For years I wouldn’t quote Martin Luther because he was such a horrible hater of Jews. Etc. But I’ve learned that we are all “just human”, and that doesn’t mean that all of us don’t have something to add to the human experience. I’ve even [shudder] quoted Hitler.

Anyway, I thought this was a good quote for Lent, when we’re supposed to be focusing on “repentance”. Repentance being getting a grip on Reality. I may have mentioned that I’m reading David Brooks’ book “The Social Animal”. At one point he comments that all human beings lie, to others and to themselves. And of course, most wise teachers tell us that “knowing ourselves” is critical to any kind of spiritual growth.

So, today is Facing our Bitch Day. Have a good look in the inner mirror. No denial or avoidance allowed. It will be refreshing and freeing and all those good things!

Good luck!

Brian+

p.s. I had a look myself, but …… I couldn’t find any Bitchiness. :-)

No comments: