Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Brian’s Reflection: Thursday, July 17, 2008


"If they don't have the guts to come up here in front of you and say,
'I don't want to represent you, I want to represent those special interests,
the unions, the trial lawyers ... if they don't have the guts, I call them girlie men
"

- Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor of CA, on this day, 2004


Why do people say things like this? Especially people in positions of governance. Especially people who have been educated and who know all manner of people and who should know better than to say things that demean people and create division and promote ignorance??

To me, it shows just how little influence religion has made on the American people. And it shows just how ingrained in the human psyche it is to fear and demean people who are “not like you” - though it always makes me wonder about people like Schwarzenegger - they are usually are hiding some severe deficiency in character.

Jesus (and God) would only sigh. Jesus tried to teach people to respect others, not to judge, to be caring and compassionate, to understand that every person was of equal value and to be honoured as a child of God. It makes me wonder just how much real influence Christianity has had in America. Not much, I think, as I see what America is like in terms of racism, homophobia, compassion for the needy.

Have the clergy been such bad teachers that millions of people thought that the Gov’s comments were “funny” or “appropriate”?? Maybe. It’s time for a real change, friends. If America is going to claim to be a “Christian Nation” (not that I agree), it better at least take it seriously and get it right! I volunteer to replace Billy Graham as the Pastor to the Presidents!

Brian+

No comments: