Thursday, October 23, 2008

Brian’s Reflection: Friday, October 24, 2008


Never upset your mind
With yes and no.
Be quiet.
You are awareness itself.
Live in the happiness
Of your own nature,
Which is happiness itself.

-Ashtavakra Gita 15:19 (Hindu)

Yes or No. Why do these “upset the mind”? Because they limit. I’ve been thinking about my life over the last 40 years. Often I’ve played the game of Life as if it had to be Yes or No. Then Life becomes like Russian roulette. Friendships. Marriages. Families. Work. Whetever it is that we have to make decisions/choices about.

If it’s Yes/Yes, or No/No, the gun doesn’t go off. Phew! But. If it’s Yes/No, then there’s very often an explosion, and it can kill whatever is in the way.

There is definitely a part of me that wants things to be “Yes” or “No”. But slowly that is changing. I am beginning to see that my nature as a human being, as Brian, would be happier if I could sit more easily with Yes and No. Oh, some things I am clear about. Like, Does God “hate” or “punish”? No. Or who should be the next President of the United States.

But I am going to work on bring open to the paradox, the Mystery: it can be Yes and No. I am going to try to be quiet in the face of Yes and No. Relax my boundaries (prejudices?) a little. Invite a little more not-knowing into my Life. See a wider picture.

I think I may have more peace, more serenity. And when a Yes or a No is required, it will chosen without rancor or distress.

[ Hopefully this isn’t too spacey for your morning!]

Brian+

No comments: