Thursday, March 19, 2009

Brian’s Reflection: Friday, March 20, 2009




John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that
everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life.

John 3: 18 …. those who do not believe are condemned already, because
they have not believed in the name of the only Son of God.


- from the Gospel reading for Lent IV (Mar 22)


When it comes to the “Christian Religion’s” view of “God”, I am an a-theist. I do not believe in that “God”. Look at the disconnect in these two verses. In my heart and mind, the words “love” and “condemned” are simply impossible together. They make no sense if we are talking about a “God” whose essential character is Love.

John 3: 16 (the first part of the verse) is Truth, as my heart and mind, taught by 62 years of Life, understands it ….. 62 years I have come to trust. (And believe me, I am not the only one.) John 3:18 is Propaganda by a religious sect trying to establish power and control. Period. God does not exclude or condemn. Anyone.

I have spent 40 years talking about God. I intend to spend the next x-number of years I have left on this Earth refining that “talk”. Remember that story about the rabbi who was asked what the message of Scripture was? He said, “God is Love”; all else is commentary”. Most of the Bible is Commentary, and messed-up, venial, nasty human commentary at that. Nothing to do with “God”. I don’t buy everything that the Jesus Seminar people say; but I think they are correct when they severely limit what in the Scriptures Jesus as they understand Him might authentically have said.

To all you Christians out there: if you are going to give up anything for Lent, give up 99% of what the Bible says about “God”. Focus only on the love of the Christ. Ponder what it really means to Love. Not only is it the essential character of “God”; it is the essential character of You. Make the understanding of that your Life’s work. Without that radical understanding (which is what the cross” is all about), the Bible means nothing.

Brian+

No comments: