Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Brian’s Reflection: Thursday, March 5, 2009




Tomorrow is a thief of pleasure.

- Rex Harrison, actor, born on
This day, 1908


Tomorrow is not only a thief of pleasure. Tomorrow is a thief of Life. Think how much time we spend planning for, saving for, setting aside Life for ….. what may or may not come “tomorrow”! It is more than sad. It is ….. anti-“God”. At least the “God” I know.

Oh, I know. We “Western” Enlightenment types! We have to plan for “the future”. We think of Aesop and his “parable” of the Ant and the Grasshopper”. But you know, we take it far too seriously. We get it all out of kilter. I find myself falling into it when it comes to health care. I’m spending an enormous amount of money buying health care coverage. A lot of people (of the 4/5ths of our population who can afford it) do the same. Basically to live “forever”! Silly! Thinking about 20 years from now. But, I have been fortunate enough to have been led on a path in my Life where I understand that the goal isn’t to “live forever”. It’s to live every day we are given as fully as possible. My goal is to drop dead floating in the Caribbean with a cold Martini awaiting me on the shore, content that I have helped some people find a joyous path through Life. Friends, my destiny is assured!

OK. Be a little concerned in making arrangements for a good tomorrow. But remember that the goal is TODAY. The Twelve-Steppers got it right. If you don’t know how to live Today beautifully, the “future” will mean nothing. You will die pissed off.

Jesus had something to say about “thieves”. Don’t let them into a Life where they can wreak havoc. A Life where you are concerned about “things that do not last”. Think ….. Love. Compassion. Tenderness. Sympathy. Appreciation. These are the things of Today. Of living in the Present. They require daily exercise.

Let us Live Today. This is the only way to any Future.

Brian+

No comments: