Thursday, July 30, 2009

Brian’s Reflection: Friday, July 31, 2009


What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does.

There is no good or evil: only power and those too weak to seek it.


- J. K. Rowling, author (“Harry Potter”), born on this date, 1965


One of my most beloved friends of many many years called tonight. Her daughter is apparently having to deal with a second round of cancer. I think what Rowling has been through – homeless, destitute, and now one of the most “successful” women in the World. “What’s coming will come and we’ll just have to meet it when it does”. The question, of course, is: have we been given, have we learned, the skills of heart and mind and spirit to meet what comes when it does. Those skills and gifts come to us in many ways. I believe they are all part of the Mystery we call “God”, or Love.

Acquiring those skills should be what philosophy and religion and “spirituality” are all about. And they are either powerful or they are not. In the end, in my opinion, they either give us the power to meet what comes or they do not. Either they lead us to Life or they don’t. If they don’t, they are worse than useless. I have spent my Life trying to point people to a “God” Who shadows us into Life; to rejecting any “false god” that doesn’t. Knowing the God of Life means knowing the One Who meets us at the edge of the desert and walks with us through the Valley of the Shadow of Death. When we “fear no evil”, we know we are blessed.

Life in imbued, utterly infused with Power. And I am intrigued with Rowling’s words: “There is no good or evil: only power and those too weak to seek it”. “God” is about that Power. If we have good teachers, we are led to that Power. Alas, many are neglected and left too weak to seek it. But my friend is full of the Power. Her daughter had a good example, and found her own way.

I know the Power in my Life. I’ve met many challenges to my Life in the past few years, and met them in confidence. My friends will too. We are not afraid of seeking the Power. Don’t you be either.

Brian+

No comments: