Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Brian’s Reflection: Wednesday, July 15, 2009


Perhaps misguided moral passion is
better than confused indifference.


- Dame Iris Murdoch, born
on this date, 1919


No. No, no, no, no ,no!! Give me “confused indifference” anytime!

I am willing to think that there can be some moral passion that is not misguided. But I would guess that this is very “personal”. I personally think that Martin Luther King’s moral passion was not misguided, but I know (alas) many who do. As an Episcopalian Christian, I think that the passion at our General Convention fully to include Gayfolk in it’s life is not misguided – but there are apparently hoards in the Anglican Communion who do, and many Episcopalians and other Christians as well. As I cast a long glance down through “history”, there is a lot of moral passion and it’s consequences that I support – but most I reject.

On the whole, it is misguided moral passion – to my lights – that has caused a huge portion of the World’s suffering, be it inspired by religious or by secular sources. Wars, Inquisitions, Holocausts, prejudice, racism, patriarchy, bigotry – most roar with the fires of so-called moral passion. And they have plagued the World with misery.

No. Give me Confused Indifference anytime! It might make it harder to rally folk around Compassion, Justice, Mercy – but it will probably save a huge amount of agony. It would make it clear when wacko, anti-social psychopaths were raising their ugly heads. And hopefully then rightly-guided moral passion will awaken, and sensible, rational people will take action.

“Moral passion” is for the most part like “dirty” bombs in the hands of crazed terrorists. I prefer sober reflection.

Brian+

No comments: