Thursday, October 7, 2010

Brian’s Reflection: Friday, October 8, 2010


I cast my bread on the waters long ago.
Now it's time for you to send it back to me –
toasted and buttered on both sides.


Jesse Jackson Sr. Prophet, patriot. He was born on this day, 1941


I don’t know the context of this quote attributed to Jesse Jackson Sr. But I would guess that it was made in the course of one of his attempts to get elected President, or some other political campaign.

However: I can imagine “God” saying this. To all human beings. What “God”? The one great Mystery behind Life – Who may or who may not existentially exist, but Who certainly exists in the minds of countless human beings.

Many ages and times have been like ours. Our age is not unique. But: we are the ones living in this age, and we must hear the message of the Universe in our own ears, hearts, minds - in our own deepest human Mystery.

Long ago, in every Time and Universe that has ever been, “God” cast Her bread upon the waters. “Love. Be compassionate. Be Just. Be generous. Be kind. The Hebrews got my Message: I will never again destroy the Earth. But you might, the Earth and each other, now in your Time.”

Those who have ears to hear, let us hear.

Brian+

No comments: