Thursday, October 21, 2010

Brian’s Reflection: Thursday, October 22, 2010


My advice to people today is as follows: if you take
the game of life seriously, if you take your nervous
system seriously, if you take your sense organs
seriously, if you take the energy process seriously,
you must turn on, tune in, and drop out.


Dr. Timothy Leary, spiritual seeker; he was born on
this date, 1920.


I lived near Millbrook NY. There is a lovely estate at the head of the road leading into town. I loved hearing the story of Timothy and his entourage “turning on, tuning out” ….. and wandering naked into the prim town of Millbrook, only to be gathered up by the police and returned to “the castle”. I love it! Ain’t people amazing!

However, let me say: I agree with Tim, though I don’t agree with his “solution”. I do take the game of Life seriously. Especially now. I take my sense organs seriously. I take the “energy process” seriously. And I do want to “tune in” ….. but NOT turn on – except to the present Reality – and I certainly don’t want to “drop out” ….. though at my age and in ‘retirement”, I am tempted.

Here follows a seemingly non-sequiter: I voted a couple of days ago in California by mail-in ballot. And I voted (a) for all Democrats, because (b) Dems are for human kindness and Repubs are for the power of the rich and screw the poor and normal people, and they would have been on the side of crucifying Jesus, and (c) to legalize pot; (1) because I hope that it will skewer the people who enslave us and make vast amounts of money as drug dealers and (2) because there will be less dead people than those killed by drunks.

Whether he knew it or not, Timothy Leary understood how destructive it is to buy into an understanding of human life which basely demeans us. He did indeed understand how dehumanizing it is to buy into callousness and unkindness and venality and disdain and lack of charity. If there is no alternative, I opt for Timothy’s medicine: reject the reigning lack of Compassion. If one can’t change it, at least don’t abet it!

Don’t drop out. Live Compassion – which is the ultimate Truth - as best you can.

Brian+

p.s. Tim also said: Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition. Considering most of the men I know, ….. right on Tim!

No comments: