Monday, October 4, 2010

Brian’s Reflection: Tuesday, October 5, 2010


Love, love me do.
You know I love you,
I'll always be true,
So please, love me do.
Whoa ccc, love me do.

Love, love me do.
You know I love you,
I'll always be true,
So please, love me do.
Whoa, love me do.

Someone to love,
Somebody new.
Someone to love,
Someone like you.

Love, love me do.
You know I love you,
I'll always be true,
So please, love me do.
Whoa, love me do.


Love, love me do.
You know I love you,
I'll always be true,
So please, love me do.
Whoa, love me do.
Yeah, love me do.
Whoa, oh, love me do.
whoa ,oh love me do
why dont cha love me do


The Beatles; this song was
released on this day, 1962


This was the Beatles’ first “big hit”. Interesting that it was about Love. It amazes me that a song could be such a hit with such a limited vocabulary! But then, I’m looking at it from the perspective of a 64 year old fogey.

I’d like to think that it was because it was about Love that it was such a hit in 1962 – and maybe so, I don’t know. But it was the sixties – and I LOVED the sixties! Hippie me, I often wish that we could go back to that era. Oh, I know I know. If I looked back at the history, it was probably just as “bad” then as it is now. After all, John Kennedy was shot and killed, and Robert Kennedy, and Dr. King. There was Vietnam, etc.

In 1962, I was 16, and a Junior in High School. In 1967, I was a novice monk in the Order of the Holy Cross. In 1968, our Novice Master took us to the March on Washington. I’ll never forget the night of the March. We went to an Episcopal Church at Midnight; the Liturgy lasted until 5am. And the passing of the Peace took over an hour!!! The only other experience I have had where the Love was SO palpable was during the years that I was the AIDS chaplain in the diocese of RI.

The only God I embrace is the God of Unconditional Love. The only Absolute I may acknowledge is Love. The only core Mystery is Love. The only definitive Path to Wholeness and Life is Love. And The Christ’s choice of the Cross is the essence of the Way of Love.

What a Journey we have to being Human! What Wisdom to learn!

Brian+

No comments: