Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Brian’s Reflection: Wednesday, June 22, 2011


I've always taken 'The Wizard of Oz'
very seriously, you know. I believe in
the idea of the rainbow. And I've spent
my entire life trying to get over it.


Judy Garland, actress, singer; she died on
this date, 1969, age 47


We human beings fascinate me! What amazing creatures we are ….. the things we think, imagine, feel, accomplish, express, create.

Judy is often described as an “icon” for Gay men. Know why? Her vulnerability. Judy’s image is of a woman who wanted love and to love, and who was just not able to withstand the mistreatment her vulnerability opened her to. Gay men identify, at least with wanting to love and be loved and being rejected by society. Judy is the Feminine that is denied not only to Gay men but to all men.

Oz. Know what Oz is - that place “over the rainbow”? Oz is where you can take your hurts and loneliness, your sadness, your longings and desires, your broken heart, your need for courage, your confused brain, and find a Wise Person - perhaps hiding behind a grand exterior (think “God”) but really “one of us” (think Jesus, Who is our own truest Self) - who will show us the simple path “home”, and send us back “over the rainbow”. It is in our own Being we will find the way to our own freedom. Everything we need is within. Judy, alas, didn’t get there. But I have, and if I have, you can. Take your own Cowardly Lion and Tin Man and Scarecrow by the arm and march down that Yellow Brick Road to the Wizard Who is your exquisitely wondrous Self. There the gifts of a Heart to Love, the Courage to be yourself, and the wit to Know Yourself will be given.

“I’ve spent my life trying to get over it”, Judy said. Did she mean find that Holy Oz Within, or her self-abusive denial that she deserved such a place? Whatever, we must find our way to Oz. We must believe that we are destined to find our Heart, our Courage, our Brain ….. and that it will be found by Journeying Within.

May you find every companion you need for the Journey “over the rainbow”, and a pair of Ruby Slippers to lead you home.

Brian+

p.s. My wonderful partner in Life Dennis is celebrating his 60th birthday today. I am blessed to walk the Yellow Brick Road with him. He has helped me to learn much.

No comments: