Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Brian’s Reflection: Thursday, June 30, 2011


First thing in the morning, before you meet or greet anyone,
remember to greet all of nature, all visible and invisible creatures.
Say to them: "I am grateful for your work, I love you and want to
be in harmony with you!" At this very moment, in response to your
greeting, all of nature will open to you and send you energy for the
entire day.


Omraam Mikhael Aivanhov


Ok, so it sounds a little “new age”-y. But who cares ….. at least I don’t. One of the things that has always annoyed me about Christianity and most Western religions is that they have eliminated any sense of our integral connection with Nature. (And with the Feminine in the concept of the Deity.) Worse, Christianity has interpreted the Genesis Creation Myth #1 (Gen 1) to declare that we humans are “in charge” and we can manipulate and use Nature as we wish. If I would denounce anything as “wicked”, that would be one.

I believe we all have to choose the principles and concepts and ideas by which we live and which express our understanding of “Reality”. I choose to believe that human beings are an integral part of Nature and, while we may have the ability to place ourselves at the top of the “food chain”, that does not give us the right to misuse or abuse Nature. We are One with Nature, and it is our vocation to contribute to Nature’s glory and splendour. If we abuse Nature, we are destroying ourselves.

So, I have taken Aivanhov to heart. I have memorized the greeting, and I say it slowing and quietly - and with a daily growing sense of Peace and Delight - each morning as I awake.

And you know what? I feel that my humanity and my Personhood has expanded. And ….. I feel a sense that I am indeed, as the Proper Preface for Saints says, “surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses” ….. all rooting for me!

Brian+

No comments: