Friday, January 27, 2012

Brian’s Reflection: Friday, January 27, 12


. . . .When I am, as it were, completely myself, entirely alone, and of good cheer –
say traveling in a carriage, or walking after a good meal, or during the night when
I cannot sleep - it is on such occasions that my ideas flow best, and most abundantly.
Whence and how they come, I know not, nor can I force them...


- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, on the 256th anniversary of his birth (in 1756)


Here is what I wrote on the Mozart’s 250th birthday in 2006:

God wants us to know and value our uniqueness. To understand and to rejoice in our aloneness. Only then can we contribute fully to the human race. Only then are we free to be enriched and matured by others.

God wants us to be of good cheer. As Mozart experienced, such cheer comes from simple things.

As Jesus said, Good fruit cannot come from a bad tree. When we honour ourselves and the being of others, we flourish ourselves, as a mustard seed bush provides a home and shelter for all.


Having just moved with Dennis to NM and starting a new adventure (and up to my ears in giant boxes!) I thought I would see what I said six years ago. Though I might have gone off on another tangent, and perhaps expressed it differently, I still hold to what I thought then in 2006.

“Alone and of Good Cheer”. I wish you all a solid sense of Who you Are, and a bright optimism graced by Reality.

Brian+

No comments: