Monday, January 23, 2012

Brian’s Reflection: Tuesday, January 24, 2012


It may be that the deep necessity of art
is the examination of self-deception.


Robert Motherwell, artist; he was
born on this date, 1915, at Aberdeen WA.


I often have discussions with others or with myself about the “value” of “art” - and whether something is art or not. I really like the thought that Art has such a lofty essential use! Beauty is highly personal and subjective ….. you can “like” Monet or Rembrandt or Caravaggio … or not. But just think that every piece of Art you see is an invitation to see, to learn, how to detect self-deception. To me, that makes Art invaluable.

Consider Faith/Religion. I think that the faithful practice of Religion is a great Art. And I would say that one of the most valuable things Religion does for us - and is of “deep necessity” - is the exposure of self-deception. I remember a phrase from the Book of Common Prayer that says something like, “we deceive ourselves, and there is no health in us”. We human beings can be masters of self-deception! Authentic Faith challenges self-deception at every step. If we have the courage to submit ourselves to its gaze, we are given deep inner health.

Brian+

No comments: