Friday, February 24, 2012

Brian’s Reflection: Friday, February 24, 12


For the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror
every morning and asked myself: 'If today were the
last day of my life, would I want to do what I am
about to do today?' And whenever the answer has
been 'No' for too many days in a row, I know
I need to change something.


Steve Jobs, co-founder of Apple; he was
born on this date, 12955, in San Francisco


Twice in my Life, I knew I was in the wrong place, a place where nothing contributed to the quality of my own Life or of others (though one never knows how one has affected people!). I quit and moved on … and yes it was hard because I had to grapple with all the issues of “failure”, etc.

I would say that “quitting” ought never to be the default position when confronted with challenge or difficulty or unhappiness. My experience has been that in most cases, whatever the issue is that’s causing the discontent, it’s a personal interior issue and it can only be “fixed” by changing oneself. Quitting is the last resort … but I think it’s an option that should be on the table.

The most helpful point that I think Steve’s comment makes is the reminder about Change. As someone once said, Change is the only constant. I would say that there is no growth without Change. The status quo is very often stagnation.

If Life is a misery, change yourself. Trying to change others is usually misery-making and a dead-end!

If it’s any consolation, I’ve done it several times, and while a challenge, it was always a relief and Life-giving!

Brian+

No comments: