Saturday, March 31, 2012

Brian’s Reflection: Sunday, April 1, 2012
[Palm Sunday in the Christian Calendar]


I gave my back to those who struck me,
and my cheeks to those who pulled out the beard;
I did not hide my face
from insult and spitting.
The Lord GOD helps me;
therefore I have not been disgraced..

from Psalm 50, appointed for Palm Sunday


[ The full Readings for Palm Sunday can be found at:
http://www.lectionarypage.net/YearB_RCL/HolyWeek/BPalmSun_RCL.html


Palm Sunday has one essential message for us on the subject of “being saved”, i.e., finding the path by which we “rise to Life”. That message is this:

The exercise of worldly Power, however gotten, will never inaugurate the “Kingdom of God”.
That “Kingdom”? The Human Community of Peace, Justice, Compassion, Kindness, Wholeness.

No proud war-horse. A donkey.
No crown of gold. A mocking crown of thorns.
No stately robes. The simple clothes of a Speaker of Truth and Love.
No grand, eloquent speeches. Silence.
No elegant fans of feathers waved by slaves. Palm branches, strewn by humble seekers.
No savage war fueled by hate and destruction. Laying down one’s Life for one’s human family.
No army. Except of Lovers.
No “lording it over”. Washing of feet.

The Gospels of the Passion turn everything on its head.

Jesus said, “I came not to be served, but to serve.”

It is the message we all need to hear in America … and in the World … today.

Brian+

No comments: