Monday, June 11, 2012

Brian’s Reflection: Tuesday, June 12, 2012




There are two freedoms –
the false, where a (wo)man is free to do what (s)he likes;
the true, where (s)he is free to do what (s)he ought.

Charles Kingsley, Anglican priest, teacher, and author;
he was born on this date, 1819, at Holne Vicarage, Devon, England


People often say to me when I have “done something” for them, “You didn’t have to do that!” My response is always, “I know I didn’t; I did it because I wanted to; I rarely do things I am told I have to do!”

I find that Americans are into the False Freedom. We have been raised culturally on the principle that no one shall tell us what to do … because this impinges on our American sense of Freedom.

Christians, on the other hand … that is, Christians whose understanding of the Gospel has trumped that of American culture … understand the True Freedom. We know that we can never be free until all are free. We know that the Gospel teaches that Love requires us to act in Love … and that means accepting the “oughts”. The “oughts” of Love don’t limit us, they enlarge us as a person and as a member of God’s family … the Human Family.

Eventually, a Christian does what (s)he ought because it is what (s)he likes.

Freedom!

Brian+

No comments: