Monday, June 9, 2008

Brian’s Reflection: Tuesday, June 10, 2008



Can any of you seriously say the Bill of Rights could get
through Congress today? It wouldn't even get out of committee.


-F. Lee Bailey, trial Lawyer, born on this day, 1933


OK. This is spiritual/political. If you are easily offended, delete.

For all the claims of various American political leaders to be “Christians” of a certain ilk, you can be damn sure that the Sermon on the Mount and its teaching (let alone any exact keeping of the Ten Commandments, of which many seem so enamoured) would never be promulgated as any kind of acceptable basis for political behaviour. Or anything resembling it. I can honestly say that in eight years I haven’t heard one word from any member of the present administration, let alone any action, that would even vaguely come close to the Gospel. Judgmental of me, I know; but that’s my opinion.

A woman in a store in Tubac AZ gave me a button one day last year. She must have sensed something in me, that I would be in agreement. It said: “Oh sure: like, Jesus would own a gun and vote Republican.” Well you know, I’ve tried to entertain the thought that maybe Republicans have some kind of insight that I’ve missed about Jesus and God and the Gospel. I’ve thought about it a lot. But, I have to confess: I see no connection. Zip. Nada. Can any Republican enlighten me?? I’ll listen. Really. (Skeptically, but I promise I’ll ponder it seriously.)

I thank God that the Bill of Rights was penned when it was, by sensible “Americans” who, irrespective of the twist of their Christian/Deist views, actually seem to have believed that every person was “equal” in God’s eyes and “under the law”.

What America could be if we all lived up to its founding principles! I hope we get the chance.

[ Disclaimer: Any references to any persons living or dead is purely coincidental!]

Bottom-line word of advice to aspiring Christian politicians and office-holders swearing your oaths on the Bible: the Cross is the standard. Think on this.

Good luck.

Brian+

No comments: