Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Brian’s Reflection: Wednesday, June 18, 2008



One is taught by experience to put a premium on those
few people who can appreciate you for what you are.


- Gail Godwin, author, born on this day, 1937, in Birmingham


And I lift my hat to an unanticipated, but truly appreciated, group: the Justices of the Supreme Court of California. On whom I put a premium for allowing us to be appreciated for who and what we are. Due to the sacacity, and (I choose to think) their wise discernment of the American Constitution and the Constitution of the State of California, they voted that depriving same-sex couples the right to marry was unconstitutional.

So: today I had a wonderful experience! We gathered at the courthouse of San Luis Obispo County. By some lovely “coincidence” and a decision by an unknown official, the tiny room where the first same-sex marriages could take place was changed. The Board of Supervisors was not meeting, so we gathered in the lovely spacious (public) lobby. A table holding two fine cakes awaited. Three Gay couple and two Lesbian couples arrived to get marriage licenses. It didn’t take long; everyone was pleasant. The Unitarian-Universalist minister presided; three Episcopal priests (including myself), a UCC minister and a Methodist (I think) pastor.

We handed the couples roses. They made their vows. We cheered, and clapped, and tears rolled down my and many eyes. Most important: the Love was palpable!! It was so clear that this is all about society supporting loving and faithful people who have been blessed by God with the gift of another with whom to learn how to love and care and be fully human. I will not forget this day!

More than the Justices of the CA Supreme Court, I have learned by experience to put a premium on the Divine Source of Life I have come to know in Jesus, in Christian community, in priesthood. “Christian community” may have wavered a bit, but never have God or priesthood wavered for me in affirming me for who I am. For this Mystery I am grateful.

I have arrived at a point in my life where others can think differently and I don’t take it personally (thanks to Don Miguel Ruiz!). But I know what is true to the God of Love.

What a great day in San Luis Obispo!!

Brian+

No comments: