Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Brian’s Reflection: Thursday, October 15, 2009


It's delightful, it's delicious, it's de-lovely.

- Cole Porter, musician, who died on this date, 1964


Even though Cole was Gay, he lived at a time when one couldn’t “be” Gay. He married, etc. And we all know from the film about him what his life was like. Interestingly, apparently one of his lovers was Jackie Bouvier Kennedy’s father.

He wrote songs that all people my age know and can sing many of. Delightful, witty songs that today, in our torn and hostile World seem so naïve. Sad, isn’t it?

Here are the whole lyrics of you want to reminisce:

http://www.lyricskeeper.com/cole_porter-lyrics/223237-its_delovely-lyrics.htm

So: a high-stepping segue. I am enough of a Romantic to think - flying in the face of the modern World, but still an optimist - that the World can be delightful, delicious and de-lovely. As a whole? Well, that would be almost impossible. But I do think that those of us who are lucky enough to be able to find it can share it, maybe only with those we meet, but still, that is “thinking globally and acting locally”. Often that’s the best we can do.

Tomorrow I will set out on my errands and meanderings intending to pump a little delightfulness, deliciousness and de-loveliness among those I encounter. I’ll hum the song as a reminder!!

Brian+

No comments: