Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Brian’s Reflection: Thursday, October 8, 2009


Of course God is endlessly multi-dimensional so every religion
that exists on earth represents some face, some side of God.


- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. On this date, 1970, he was awarded
the Nobel Prize for Literature


Tuesday, at 7:30am, I was headed out on the airport bus from Grand Central in Manhattan to LaGuardia. As we emerged from the Midtown Tunnel, there was a huge billboard that said simply “2012”, and a website address. This 2012 thing – destruction or transformation – looks like it’s going to be a huge scam off of which some people will make lots of money off of the gullibility or the fears or the ignorance of people. Discouraging.

I’m not going to get caught up in 2012. Except that, as it raises its head, I am going to focus unwaveringly on the side of Transformation (as I think I said before).

To wit: Solzhenitsyn is, I believe, correct. “God” is the product of every culture or tribe that every thought up a “religion”. And of course they all bear the marks of that origin. There is no one religion that has “all the Truth” – though I am sorry to say that there are many intelligent persons I know who think this. Bottom line: we are all, we human beings, like moles burrowing around in the dark, looking for The Truth, for the Meaning of It All. Why it is that we think we want an exclusive claim on The Truth I don’t know. But I do know, at my age, that I now think this to be a dangerously immature position.

It would be much better, much better, if we humbly acknowledged the truth of Solzhenitsyn’s insight, and began to work with each other. We might even learn that it’s more pleasant for us all to tackle this Mystery together.

Think we can pull it together in just over three years?

Brian+

No comments: