Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Brian’s Reflection: Tuesday, October 6, 2009


The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to
look things in the face and know them for what they are.


- Marcus Aurelius


Easier said than done, of course. I wonder why it is that the best “advice” about Living – like the Golden Rule or this quote from M. Aurelius or Jesus [Love One Another] – are so “simple” and yet so frustratingly difficult to sustain? It must be some similar version of Murphy’s Law?

I don’t think it’s possible to “keep an untroubled spirit” in this World unless one accepts, at a deep level, essential lack of control, various dimensions of distress, mortality, connection to others and interdependence, mystery, and wonder. This is I think, paradoxically, more difficult for those who are “privileged” in this World than for those who aren’t. Privilege breeds high expectations which are often basically fantasy, all of which limit our freedom to respond to what Life brings. As an illustration, I just learned that I no longer have any health insurance [long story]. My spirit is relatively “untroubled” - I’ve accepted the fact that if anything serious happens in the next little while, I’ll be blissfully destitute!

As to looking “things in the face and know them for what they are”, Denial is built in to help us cope – but we often tend to refuse to move out of denial when we naturally should. “Truth” is a complex issue. Pontius Pilate’s [John 18:38] comment should always be humbly remembered! I think that human beings make their own Truth – of which faith, philosophy, etc are tools. I accept the “truth” that it is always best to “look things in the face and know them for what they are” on their own basis, not on our manipulation of them. At least this is the best place to start!

I wish you a day of Untroubled Spirit and Refreshing “Are-ness” !!

Brian+

No comments: