Sunday, June 6, 2010

Brian’s Reflection: Monday, June 7, 2010



Time doth flit;
oh shit.


Dorothy Parker, author, critic, poet;
member of the Algonquin “Roundtable”;
died on this date, 1967, age 73


I absolutely could not resist! Dorothy said a lot of very pithy things. She got fired for her famous review of Winnie the Pooh: “Tonstant weader fwowed up.”

It would probably be rude to say that Dorothy Parker and God had things in common. Yes? Well, I think they did. They were (God still is) – shall we say – succinct. This was the way that Dorothy expressed her own unique “Made-in-the-image-of-God” nature, so we can’t judge her!

But, I have to confess that her epithet has become my own as a description of a very important spiritual virtue – namely Surrender. I do try not to use it too loudly in public, unless I am with friends. And I have only uttered the word once from the pulpit in over 40 years!!

Life throws a lot of stuff our way. There isn’t a whole lot we can do about that; we aren’t in control. We must just surrender and accept the situation. The only thing we are responsible for is how we respond. I have a metaphor for this: when I break a Limoges 100 year old teacup or plate, I just say “Oh shit!” and let it go. That’s a metaphor for the discipline of Self-examination and Repentance. You sin, you sin. The best thing is to acknowledge it as soon as possible (for me that’s “Oh shit”!), accept forgiveness, make amends if possible, and Get On With Life.

As I said in my sermon today – Life is about Life. No use in wasting time wallowing in “death”. You’re turn-around time should be as short as possible!

Brian+

No comments: