Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Brian’s Reflection: Thursday, September 30, 2010


Friendship marks a life even more deeply
than love. Love risks degenerating into
obsession; friendship is never anything
but sharing.


Elie Wiesel, Survivor of Horror,
born on this date, 1928


I don’t agree with everything that Wiesel has said or done. You wouldn’t agree with everything that I have said or done. But I honour him for his witness – a witness that is needed in our World: the speaking against the inhuman brutalizing of other human beings.

I disagree with Wiesel about Friendship ….. though I deeply believe what he says about true Friendship marking a Life. Friendship equally runs the risk of “degenerating into obsession”. Have you read Jonathan Franzen’s book “Freedom”? I just finished it. I was exhausted! Are many people and families like that in America???

I have many many wonderful true friends ….. including a man I have know for 59 of my 64 years, whom I adore and delight in and am grateful to share so much of our lives with. I am so grateful for them! One has been a friend and my true Mentor for over 25 years – always “speaking the truth in Love” to me; how I value her! More than anything else, Friendship has marked my Life even more deeply than Love – and that blessedly includes the man I both love and who is blessedly a dear Friend.

I know the depth of what Jesus meant when he told his followers that He called them “Friends”.

I wish every one of you many true Friends. They are the greatest of gifts. And the ability and generosity to be a Friend.

Brian+

No comments: