Monday, September 20, 2010

Brian’s Reflection: Wednesday, September 21, 2010


In dreams the truth is learned that all good
works are done in the absence of a caress
.

Leonard Cohen, poet, songwriter,
born on this date, 1934


Did you know that Leonard Cohen was nominated for a Nobel Prize in Literature for his lyrics? He was. And justly so, I think. He is a poet of the first order.

He is also a “theologian” – a “Talker of God’s Ways”. And here he expresses the essence of Love!

One day in about 1972, I arrived back, ill, at Holy Cross Monastery …….. with what turned out to be viral dysentery. It was hell! Rectal bleeding, and lots of pain. It took the Benedictine Hospital ten days to understand what was going on. But I survived.

The greatest lesson I learned from this episode was how to care for others. One of the brothers looked after me perfectly. He never did anything for me, through several hours, except what I wanted. Not what HE wanted or what met his needs. Just did exactly as I asked. Otherwise he sat and prayed. Perfect.

Love seeks no caress. Learn this and we are Free.

Brian+

No comments: