Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Brian’s Reflection: Wednesday, July 6, 2011


I take a simple view of life. It is:
keep your eyes open and get on with it.


Laurence Sterne


Dennis and I have had a lovely week wandering through California and Arizona to the Grand Canyon ….. which I had never seen. Very calming, I found it. I felt anchored properly into Nature. The thing that impressed me the most, actually, was that flowing water shaped it!

Of course, anything I say will complicate Sterne’s simplicity! Oh well.

Most important re keeping one’s eyes open? Open on ourselves. I find it so easy to avoid or deny what we are really like. “Know Yourself” is Wisdom. The more we know and accept about ourselves, the more simple and clear Reality looks. Self-delusion makes a mess of everything.

I think the two greatest enemies of “getting on with it” are Ignorance and Fear. Jesus didn’t offer freedom from the reality of Fear and Sin and Death, but from the power they have to diminish Life. Self-knowledge - including the knowledge of that great Mystery we call “Grace”, where we accept the possibility and power of the Universe to free us - is the key. “God” can do nothing with lies - and that is why “Satan” is often called the Prince of Deceit.

Today is upon us. “Keep your eyes open and get on with it”!!

Brian+

No comments: