Sunday, December 21, 2008

Brian’s Reflection: Monday, December 22, 2008


Nothing is funnier than unhappiness, I grant you that.
Yes, yes, it's the most comical thing in the world.

- Samuel Becket, playwright, who died on this day, 1989


Samuel Becket was too intelligent to have said these words and have meant them literally. Like most imaginative people. His words, to me, are full of an arch irony, even of a good bit of wisdom.

Why are most people unhappy? Some from suffering inflicted on them, that’s true. And there may be more of these than I understand. But I think Becket was talking about the huge number of people who are unhappy for only one basic reason: they have chosen to be, either consciously or unconsciously. Sometimes a good therapist can really help. Sometimes a “spiritual” guide. Sometimes the “rock bottom”, as the AA people understand.

Well, I don’t know the numbers. But I do know that I know many who have “chosen” unhappiness, actively, or passively, or emotionally - aware or unaware. I’ve done it. I’ve been unhappy and angry for decades about the whole situation of Gayfolk in our culture. And I can see that this was a “choice”. I am working on changing this. It has brought a great deal of negativity and stress and lack of energy into my life.

If you are an unhappy person, stare it in the face – but ask gently and lovingly if you have “chosen” it. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies. Think of all the people (if you are familiar with the Gospel) Jesus helped to see the source of their unhappiness.

The Mystery called “God”, as I know God, desires to lift this burden of unhappiness.

“Funny” and “comical” are Becket’s euphemisms for “sad” and “destructive”.

Let God take them. That’s one of the reasons we have God.

Brian+

No comments: