Sunday, December 7, 2008

Brian’s Reflection: Monday, December 8, 2008


All (wo)men should strive to learn before they die,
what they are running from, and to, and why.
[brackets mine]

- James Thurber, American artist, humourist &
cartoonist, born on this date, 1894


Nicely put! And wise. Here are my answers for the present – remembering that this process of learning is a never-ending task, and one with a multiple of “answers” depending on how open one is to the infinite quality of Experience. Each day can bring surprises.

I am “running from” self-deception. I am constantly amazed at how something inside of me wants to deceive myself. I suspect that this is because I somehow feel that the truth will be too difficult to deal with intellectually and emotionally. No wonder all great teachers on Life tell us in some fashion that the truth will free us, even if painful.

I am “running to” Mystery. I am weary of the conceit that answers bring Peace and Clarity. Very seldom.

I am “running from” because self-deception diminishes me and everyone else. Self-deception keeps everyone in a cage. I am “running to” because Mystery makes for a much more charming and less stressful Life. Mystery expects more, and makes obsessive control unnecessary.

Listen to some good advice then: Do not be afraid.

Brian+

No comments: