Sunday, April 25, 2010

Brian’s Reflection: Monday, April 26, 2010



I have an everyday religion that works for me.
Love yourself first, and everything else falls into line.


Lucille Ball, superb lady! Comedienne, philosopher;
She died on this date, 1989, age 77


Of course I watched her when I was a “kid”! Funny how comedians strike one – or not. I couldn’t stand Carol Burnett, and especially I couldn’t stand Jerry Lewis. But Lucy? Absolutely!

I agree with Lucille. (And I think that Jesus got it right too.) If you can’t love yourself, everything else will be “broken”. Each of us has to know that we are valuable, loved unconditionally, cherished, “OK” for who we are, etc. If we don’t, then every other relationship will be twisted, warped, skewed, etc.

The major problem in the Christian (and World) community today is that we aren’t “together” in our understanding of the Gospel – whose central message is “You Are Loved because you Are Who You Are”. It is out of that blessing that we are called essentially to act and Be in the World. But today, too many people are “broken”. Demeaned. They can’t act towards others in Love because they are deficient in Love.

What a sad state for us to be in!

Let’s try – in whatever simple way we can – to change this.

Love yourself. Love God. Love others.

Simple, simple, simple.

Brian+

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fr. Brian,
I'm wondering if you have ever had the chance to visit a monastery called Graymoor in Garrison New York?
If your answer is yes, then I think I know you?
Ron Duran
monastic@nyc.rr.com