Monday, April 5, 2010

Brian’s Reflection: Tuesday, April 6, 2010



Humanity has the stars in its future, and that
future is too important to be lost under the burden
of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition.


Isaac Asimov, author, visionary, scientist,
philosopher; he died on this date, 1992,
age 72


To be candid – you will note that I have made an advance; I didn’t say “perfectly” candid; I’m learning, I’m learning! – I find an enormous amount of superstition in the World. And in Religion in particular. I won’t go on to list all of the things I think are Superstition. It wouldn’t be “nice” in Eastertide. But I assure you that the List would be quite long.

I do however agree wholeheartedly with Asimov about the danger of “ignorant superstition”. Also, I hold a “high doctrine” of the nature of humanity – silly me, I suppose, given the evidence! I believe we do have “the stars” in our future – historically, mentally, “spiritually” - but I’m beginning to understand that it’s going to be a very long time in coming. I was always optimistic when Star Trek said that superstition and violence (and “God”) had been banished from human behaviour by the 24th century. I’m holding out for the 40th these days.

Much of the extremism rampant at the moment in the World, especially that based in religious fanaticism, is, I’m convinced, based not in “religion” but in Superstition – plain ignorant addlebrained dumb juvenile infantilism when it comes to science, philosophy, imagination, wisdom, you name it. We might as well be living still in the age of mountain gods and human sacrifice.

Today, in honour of Asimov, it might be interesting to think about what we “believe” – and whether it’s Superstition or not. In fact, magic as well.

Downright refreshing, I would think! Freedom from Ignorance always is.

Brian+

No comments: