Thursday, January 21, 2010


Brian’s Reflection: Friday, January 22, 2010

I would to heaven that I were so much clay,
As I am blood, bone, marrow, passion, feeling -
Because at least the past were passed away -
And for the future - (but I write this reeling,
Having got drunk exceedingly today,
So that I seem to stand upon the ceiling)
I say - the future is a serious matter -
And so - for God's sake - hock and soda water!


George Gordon, Lord Byron, born on this date
1788

Lady Caroline Lamb described Byron as “mad, bad and dangerous to know". If I had never read anything about Byron, or read any of his poems, I would have loved him immediately! Byron served as a regional leader of Italy’s revolutionary organization, the Carbonari in its struggle against Austria. He later travelled to fight against the Ottoman Empire in the Greek War of Independence, for which Greeks revere him as a national hero. He died from a fever contracted while in Messolohghi, in Greece. He was 36 years old. How Romantic! Almost as Romantic as Rupert Brooke!

I understand Byron’s hesitancy about “the future”. It’s scary. I have a deep sense of foreboding about the World, and about the country I live in, these days. The future looks pretty bleak – specters arise of conflict, militarism, nuclear devastation (yes, we’re back to that after a few decades), ethnic and religious hate and animosity, class and race wars. More.

But. Cowering in a hole isn’t a good or acceptable plan. So, I’m with Byron. Let’s enjoy each other, our friends and loved ones. Let’s sop up as much intoxicating fellowship as we can – perhaps even to the limits of standing “upon the ceiling”. Let’s knock back a little material and spiritual “hock and soda water” to keep ourselves relaxed and limber.

And get on with transforming our surroundings and neighbours one heart-felt kiss at a time.

Brian+

No comments: