Monday, January 4, 2010



Brian’s Reflection: Tuesday, Jan 5, 2010


If you love it enough, anything will talk with you.

Our creator is the same and never changes despite
the names given Him by people here and in all parts
of the world. Even if we gave Him no name at all,
He would still be there, within us, waiting to give
us good on this earth.


George Washington Carver, American scientist,
botanist, educator, inventor; who died on this date, 1943


I am stunned to realize that Carver died only 3 years before I was born!

One of the great challenges in my Life came to fruition after I “retired”. It has made the last 20 months very “tumultuous”! The process had been going on for a very long time, of course. I know that. I look back over the sermons I preached over 3 decades. They clearly show the flow of my Journey.

I understand, and remain “centered”, in the Christian religious tradition and faith. I was “raised” in it, and it is the most vibrant path that has formed my human development. But through the decades, I have come to see what Carver speaks to: that there is only a Life Force, “even if we give [Him] no name at all”, who is “within us, waiting to give us good on this earth”.

I have come to see that “reality” is essentially connected with the human heart and spirit and mind – that “God” is real because we have “created” the God we need in order to navigate this great Mystery we call Life. I see the great problem we have: God has put Herself at the mercy of human need – and there are so many portrayals of God that may be, and are in my opinion, inaccurate.

Carver says that “God” is there to “give us good”. I agree wholeheartedly. Any other God is useless. We would be stupid to worship any other God. Knowing such a God, I thrill to Carver’s thought: “If you love it enough, anything will talk with you”. I am beginning to experience this. When I stand and look out over the Pacific on Grover Beach, the Creation “talks to me”. It says what Carver says: God is within me, waiting to me good on this earth. I know the greatest Peace and Unity. I am challenged to live up to this truth. And – I believe this truth.

It is late in my Life. But I am urged to try more faithfully to live up to this core Truth. God is within me, offering Good. I must learn daily to accept it – and to manifest it around me.

Brian+

No comments: