Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Brian’s Reflection: Tuesday, July 20, 2010



Five enemies of peace inhabit with us –
avarice, ambition, envy, anger, and pride;
if these were to be banished, we should
infallibly enjoy perpetual peace.


Petrarch, philosopher, born on this date, 1304


Wisdom from 700 years ago. I was looking at the “culprits” with regard to myself.

Avarice ….. nah. I haven’t had much to be avaricious with, working in the church all my Life! And what I had, I spend!

Ambition ….. hell nah; gave that one up a long time ago!! I discovered at an early age that it was far less stressful being without “career” ambition – though I think I was always ambitious to advance inner freedom. And I settled for the wealth of basically being able to control my schedule.

Pride ….. tricky. I think if you think you aren’t prideful, you’ve just trapped yourself! I suspect it’s what you’re prideful about that’s the key. It’s ok to be proud of trying to serve and love.

Envy ….. Nah. Not really. I read Architectural Digest and slaver; just a little fantasy to juice up the creativity! I’d like the fanciest iPad, iPhone, and new iMac. Oh, and a Tuscan farmhouse. But I wouldn’t cheat, kill, embarrass myself, or (if it were even a possibility) go into debt. Not worrying too much about envy. A good sign: no bitterness in my soul!

Anger ….. hell Yah. This is the one. I’ve ranted about this before, so I won’t again. Anyway, at least maybe with this one to deal with, it’s distracted me from the rest?? There’s a blessing in every curse!

Hope your List is as untroublesome as mine! Plus, I’ve just had left-over lentil, chicken and veggie soup, home-made with good olive oil, for breakfast and am truly content.

Bliss.

Brian+

No comments: