Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Brian’s Reflection: Thursday, July 14, 2011


Art is amoral; so is life. For me there are no
obscene pictures or books; there are only poorly
conceived and poorly executed ones.


Irving Stone, author [The Agony and the Ecstasy];
this quote is from his book “Lust for Life”. He was
born on this date, 1903, in San Francisco


Shakespeare said: “ There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so”. (Hamlet, Act II, scene ii) But my God, how we human beings have spent so much of our time and energy “thinking it so”! The first Genesis Creation Myth tells us that all was made Good. And yet I would say that the majority of human thinking – fueled by Religion, alas - has focused on the “Bad”. Sex is bad. Females are inferior and menstrual, i.e., bad. Poverty is bad, and riches is bad. Desire is bad. Freethinking is bad. Homosexuality is bad. Certain skin colour is bad. Enjoyment is bad. Diversity is bad. the Other is bad. The List is endless.

I think we human beings are spending far too much time poorly conceiving and poorly executing Life. Philosophy and Religion have failed us. We are producing way too many examples, with the result that “bad” and “obscene” and all sorts of negativity has become the norm. No wonder we are always at each others’ throats.

Today I shall try to think of everything that comes across my path as “amoral”. Even politicians ….. shudder. I shall try not to invest anything with an immediate judgment of “good” or “bad”, but “simply is”. And then see what my mind does with it all. Especially with the thought that I know what is just and right and so many idiots don’t!

Wish me luck. I don’t know if or when I will have the humility or courage to report back!

Brian+

p.s. I’m hoping that my compassion and understanding will deepen.

No comments: